Thursday 8 February 2018 (12.30pm to 1.30pm)
CICG, Room 13 (2ndFloor)
Within the framework of the Humanitarian Networks and Partnership Week, and in advance of the Winter Paralympic Games in PyeongChang, the Australian Permanent Mission in Geneva, the ICRC MoveAbility Foundation and the Agitos Foundation, invite you to join a thematic presentation on disability inclusion, sports for development and rehabilitation. We will be joined by representatives from Permanent Missions in Geneva, journalists and representatives from international organisations related to disability issues.
Physical rehabilitation and elite para-sport are two sides of the same coin. Rehabilitation is the first necessary step towards the fulfilment of one’s potential. High-level elite sport as well as amateur sport are key to a thriving life and proof that disability does not constitute a barrier to physical activities. The primary objective and aims of this thematic presentation are to highlight the barriers faced by persons with disabilities in accessing adapted services and devices, particularly in low and middle income countries; to discuss the use of para-sport as a support in the rehabilitation process, and also to change society’s perception of people with disabilities.
- Ms Heba Aly, Director, IRIN
- Ms Elizabeth Wilde, Minister Counsellor, Deputy Head of Mission, Australian Permanent Mission to the United Nations
- Mr Yves Daccord, Director-General, ICRC
- Mr Thierry Regenass, Executive Director, ICRC MoveAbility Foundation
- Mr Andrew Thomas, Director, Agitos Foundation
- Mr Dominique Bizimana, President of the East African Paralympic Committee